Adult Male Circumcision in Winnipeg
Adult circumcision is performed on-site here at the Buenafe Clinic location in Winnipeg.
Adult men come to our circumcision clinic from across Manitoba, and beyond, to get the benefit of virtually painless Pollock Technique™ or Shang Ring circumcision, performed under local anaesthesia
With our combination of local anaesthetics, our quick surgical technique, and our use of skin glue (with the Pollock method), we provide a convenient and comfortable adult circumcision procedure.
Skin glue closure generally eliminates the need for stitches, increasing comfort, speeding healing, and offering good cosmetic circumcision results.
Men also have the option for inhaled nitrous oxide (laughing gas) to reduce anxiety and increase comfort during the short procedure.
No hospital visit or doctor’s referral is required. Physicians refer their patients to our clinic for adult circumcision, however, your doctor does not need to make a referral for you.
You can request a consultation appointment now online.
Adult Circumcision Procedure Overview
Here is a summary of the adult circumcision process. In addition to the steps below most adult circumcision clients will need to be seen by Dr. Jay for a preoperative examination and counselling which is crucial in preparation for the actual procedure.
Please contact us today if you would like a consultation and please read on for detail on what will happen on the day of your eventual procedure:
Please go ahead and request a consultation appointment at our Winnipeg clinic if you are considering getting circumcised as an adult.
Need more info about adult circumcision? Book a consultation now.
Adult Circumcision Costs in Manitoba
In the province of Manitoba, the public health insurance program – Manitoba Health – covers adult circumcision only in cases where the procedure can be classified as medically necessary for the man.
Adult circumcisions performed at our Winnipeg adult circumcision clinic are paid for directly by the patient.
Our fees for circumcision for adults are as follows:
- 18 – 19 years of age is $1450
- 20+ years of age is $2000
No doctor’s referral is needed.
If you would like more detail on adult circumcision costs, please use the Circumcision Cost Confirmation form to send us your inquiry and we will reply fast with the detail you require.
Getting Circumcised at Your Age
The most common age range for adult circumcision is 18 – 40 years old, but the procedure is regularly performed on a larger age range as requested for medical and personal reasons.
There are a number of reasons why men may choose to get circumcised at an adult age. Some require circumcision as a cure for conditions like phimosis (an overly tight foreskin) while others choose circumcision for cosmetic and personal reasons.
Whatever the reason for your choice to have circumcision later in life, we will be pleased to consult with you and schedule a procedure at your convenience.
You can also find additional information regarding circumcision for babies, boys and teens on dedicated pages on this website.
The Adult Circumcision Procedure - Two Methods
We perform two methods of circumcision – mogen clamp circumcision using the Pollock Technique™and Shang Ring circumcision. They provide equally good cosmetic results.
With either method, you will receive detailed written instructions for post-surgery care as well as consult one-on-one with the doctor. Healing times are relatively the same.
Our doctor will consult with you to determine which procedure will be best for you.
Dr. Jay will be reachable anytime in the days following your adult circumcision procedure. You will have his direct personal phone number. In the unlikely event of a post-procedure issue you will have quick access to the support you may need.
This method uses a combination of local anesthetic and quick surgical technique, with the mogen clamp and use of skin glue.
With the skin glue closure method, we have been able to obtain improved cosmetic outcomes without suture track marks in the mucosa and skin.
In addition, glue closure is faster than sutures
Adult circumcision procedures with the Pollock Technique™ can offer good results with limited discomfort.
For more information, or to schedule to speak with our doctor, please contact us today.
Appointments are generally available soon and no referral is required.
Shang Ring is a quick, virtually painless and bloodless procedure also providing a sutureless circumcision without track marks.
This method was developed in China through the backing of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
Buenafe Clinic is one of the first clinics to offer Shang Ring circumcision in Manitoba, and in Canada.
Conveniently, dressing changes are not needed with the Shang Ring – and no skin glue is required.
The Shang Ring consists of two concentric medical grade plastic rings: an inner ring with a silicone band and an outer, hinged ring that acts as a ligature. The Shang Ring is removed after one week.
The advantages of the Shang Ring procedure may be benefits in your case, or our doctor may recommend Pollock Technique™ circumcision. In either case your procedure will be performed by an experienced doctor with a close follow-up post procedure.
Which Procedure is Right for You?
Our Winnipeg circumcision doctor will evaluate your case and determine which adult circumcision method is best.
Both of our techniques can deliver a good result, and the decision will be made based on our physician’s experience and professional judgement.
Some patients have a preference, but given that the end result is the same, the recommended approach is to let the doctor decide the circumcision technique most applicable to your procedure.
Call Us to Book
Or For Any Questions
Adult Circumcision FAQ
LEARN MORE ABOUT
After Your Adult Circumcision in Winnipeg
Your penis may swell in the first 2 days. It is generally not very painful, and over-the-counter pain relievers are all you usually need.
You will have a dressing over the head of your penis. Please follow the doctor’s directions about when to remove it. Wear snug fitting underwear that will hold the penis upright. This will help the swelling go down.
You can return to work and your normal routine when you feel ready to. Some men return to sedentary work as soon as 2 – 3 days after circumcision. You will need to wait longer before returning to physical work.
A detailed care sheet will be provided with specific instructions to follow after your operation. The information on this page gives you a general idea about how long it will take for you to recover, but each person recovers at a different pace. Follow the care instructions to heal as fast as possible.
Dr. Buenafe will address your specific case and answer your questions.
Post-Operative Instructions for Adult Circumcision
For Pollock Technique™ (Mogen clamp) procedures only
- For the first 24 hours, you will go home with a bandage wrapped around your penis. Do not try to re-wrap it in the first 24 hours. You will see the physician the next 1 – 2 days to ensure there is no major swelling that requires re-bandaging.
- On post op day 2, we will remove your bandage and re-wrap the penis.
- For two weeks after your procedure you need to apply the dressing yourself twice a day. First take the gauze with the hole in the middle and apply Vaseline around the hole and apply it to the penis. The penis goes through the hole. Then take the coban tape (brown dressing) to wrap the gauze around the penis.
- You may shower the next day as long as your penis is covered with plastic or a waterproof covering, unless a physician indicates otherwise. Make sure the harsh stream of the shower does not hit your penis. You may take a regular shower after one week.
- Do not go swimming in a lake or public pool until you are completely healed which is usually around 5-6 weeks.
- Do not take part in any intensive activities.
- Do not have sex (or masturbate) until you are completely healed (around 6 weeks).
- Try not to allow your penis to dangle freely. Tightly fitted briefs are recommended to keep the penis upright.
- In the event that you experience mild pain (including during an erection), especially in the first few days after the circumcision, over-the-counter pain medications such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen can be used for pain relief. We generally advise acetaminophen 1000 mg plus ibuprofen 400 mg 3 times a day for 5 days. If the pain is excessive, contact our office for further advice.
- Five to seven days after your circumcision, you will return to the office for another follow up, then every two weeks thereafter.
- A distended bladder often triggers erections. To avoid nocturnal erections, minimize fluid intake after 6pm and urinate before going to bed. You may want to set a time in the middle of the night to urinate. Applying ice is often helpful to reduce any nocturnal erections that occur.
Post operative instructions for Shang Ring only
- When you are back at home, rest until you have gotten used to having the Shang Ring in place.
- Do not try to remove or re-position the Shang Ring yourself.
- Keep the circumcised area clean and dry. This will promote proper healing. When you urinate, use tissue to dab the final few drops from the penis afterwards to prevent urine from seeping into the circumcision area, which might result in infection.
- After the day of circumcision, you may shower as long as you carefully dry the penis and Shang Ring afterward. Do not go swimming or wash in a bathtub.
- Do not take part in any intensive activities to avoid dislocating the ring. If you sweat heavily, be sure to clean and dry your body immediately, to keep the wound from becoming infected, which would delay healing.
- Do not have sex (or masturbate) while the Shang Ring is in place.
- Try not to allow your penis to dangle freely and keep it upright. Tightly fitted briefs are recommended to keep the penis from drooping downward and to keep the ring in place and avoid skin abrasion.
- In the event that you experience mild pain (including during an erection), especially in the first few days after the circumcision, over-the-counter pain medications such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen can be used for pain
relief. We generally advise acetaminophen 1000 mg plus ibuprofen 400 mg 3 times a day for 5 days. If the pain is excessive, contact our office for further advice.
- You may experience slight swelling around the Shang Ring. This is normal, so long as it does not cause you too much discomfort. You can apply ice to your penis to reduce swelling.
- Five to seven days after your circumcision, you will return to the office to have the Shang Ring removed. Please take a 15-minute bath the day of your scheduled removal to help make it easier to remove. Do not try to remove the Shang Ring yourself or re-position the ring. We will freeze the penis once again prior to ring removal.
- A distended bladder often triggers erections. To avoid nocturnal erections, minimize fluid intake after 6pm and urinate before going to bed. You may want to set a time in the middle of the night to urinate. Applying ice or taking a cold shower is often helpful to reduce any nocturnal erections that occur.
- After the Shang Ring is removed do not shower for 5 days. You will be wrapping a bandage over the wound for 7 days. After that, continue to apply vaseline onto the wound for one week.
- The wound will look “open”. This is normal. There will be white and yellow discharge that looks like “pus”. This is also normal. We often add a few anchor sutures to reduce the risk of wound dehiscence.
- No sex or masturbation for another 4 weeks.
Winnipeg Circumcision, Vasectomy & Erectile Dysfunction Clinic